Food choices play an important role when it comes to oral health. Believe it or not, not all foods that are healthy for you also promote good oral health! Some of the food that we have listed may surprise you – read below to learn about six foods that are particularly good for your teeth.
Eating the following foods will help promote good oral health:
- Milk: Milk contains high levels of calcium, a mineral that the body uses to maintain strong bones. Calcium works to protect your teeth against gum disease. It also keeps your jawbone strong and healthy.
- Celery, carrots, or other crunchy vegetables: Crunchy, firm vegetables contain a lot of water, which increases the flow of saliva and works to scrub tooth surfaces, ultimately brightening your teeth!
- Salmon or other fatty fish: Fatty fish such as salmon or tuna are full of vitamin D, which allows your body to absorb and use higher levels of calcium (discussed above).
- Oranges: Citrus fruits like oranges contain vitamin C, which helps keep your gums healthy by strengthening both blood vessels and connective tissue. Your teeth are connected to your jaw by connective tissue, so you can see why strong connective tissue is of high importance! Additionally, in some cases, vitamin C may prevent or slow the progression of gingivitis.
- Green and black teas: These types of tea contain polyphenols, which prevent plaque and harmful bacteria from growing and producing acid. This is incredibly useful for cavity prevention. Tea also has anti-inflammatory powers that help to control (and prevent against) gum disease.
- Sugarless gum: The “sugarless” part is important, as sugar is in no way good for your teeth! Sugarless gum, on the other hand, contains xylitol, which stimulates saliva production, helping to reduce acid in your mouth. Additionally, sugarless gum can help “scrub” your teeth, which keeps your mouth feeling clean.
What Else Is Good For Your Teeth?
As you can see, the foods listed above provide a large amount of benefits to your oral health! With that being said, visiting your El Paso dentists at Picasso Smiles Dental is even better for your oral health! Our patients leave the office with significant improvements to their oral hygiene. Contact us to schedule a consultation today; you will be glad you did!
At Picasso Smiles Dental, we want to be sure you get the most out of ... Read more